View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #432
HugeFanOfE-Ink
HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
As for update regions and speed: That's a function of the RFB *server*. It is responsible for sending updated framebuffer regions. So my suggestion is to try those out a bit. Same for CPU usage: E.g. on a USB link, it doesn't make much sense to instruct client and server to use sophisticated compression algorithms for the tiles send back and forth. No good documentation at the moment, but kindlevncviewer hands its parameters down to this function of libvncclient: http://libvncserver.sourceforge.net/...44eb97d2356475 - there's the "-encoding" parameter to try out.
Thanks for the tip. I did try out several -encoding options, though none seemed to have a discernible effect.

I'm using 'Vine Server' on OS X, which seems to be the best free server there is. It has too few options, though; so there's an option to choose between RFB Protocols 3.3, 3.7, and 3.8, but nothing else. Those options didn't make much of a change either.

I then connected the Kindle to a Windows 7 VM, tried both UltraVNC and TightVNC as servers. There *was* some improvement. I wonder whether it's (at least partly) due to the VM's resolution being set at 1280x768

If you have recommendations for a linux distro, I'd like to set another VM for that. I have an OpenSUSE VM ready at hand, so I'll experiment with it now.
HugeFanOfE-Ink is offline   Reply With Quote