View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
My K3 is nine months old and has lead a very sheltered life.
I just put it into "DIAGS" mode and pulled up the factory battery management report screen:

Edit: The original numbers here where taken while the K3 was connected to a bad wall charger.

Charge level: 100%
Terminal voltage: 4.185 volts
Current draw: 73.899 ma. (positive == charge, negative == discharge)
Charger draw limit: On
Charger mode: On
Battery temperature: 80 degrees F
Charge cycle count: 15
Charge learn count: 14
Battery LMD: 1823 mAh
Battery Flags: 0xA4

The above copied at the point where the led went from orange to green.
The charge curve had started out at an 800 ma. rate on the (good) wall charger and has been tapering off starting at about 93% of full charge.
EDIT: The above observation indicated that the charge current limiter had failed. Which lead to the death of the wall charger. When a new wall charger was used, it lived long enough for the USB charge circuitry to self destruct.
The main problem here (other than the hardware failures) is that the control firmware for the charge limit checks for: Off, 100ma, 500ma, Other.
And the author assumed that "Other" would be somewhere in range, not over-range. (The wall charger can supply 850ma but the K3 circuitry is only good for 500ma).

The good: It failed while I was watching it - so I know how and why.
The bad: I now need to return my K3 with its dead wall charger and smoked USB port circuitry.
I guess that is progress.
Unless the end-user happens to be watching the battery management diagnostics screen in its report loop while the stuff fails and the K3 self-destructs . . .
The first indication they will have is a battery that is too discharged to boot the machine, not even far enough to display a "get it fixed" screen.

Last edited by knc1; 09-06-2012 at 08:51 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote