View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #56
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Well, on the Penelope Trunk article, some food for thought: http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012...-trunks-story/

(Although a caveat there is Big 6 has lots of imprints, so tracking down this specific case can be an exception to the norm.)
I did notice the exaggerations in the original. I assumed that, rather than using a loophole to avoid the demand for return of the advance in a year (I didn't know the contract could have that kind of loophole), that the publisher told her to go away--"we're not going to publish your book if you're going to be this hostile to us and our marketing plan." Which also sounded unlikely, but not impossible.

I caught the "85% of books are sold at Amazon," and assumed that was just unsupported hype.

The main lesson I got from Trunk's article was, "demand that your publisher explain *their* side of the marketing plan; don't just tell them how you'll be using your blog for their profit."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote