View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
AvantGo being retired

Pocket PC Thoughts is reporting that AvantGo is being retired. I'd say this is just a sign of the progress made with availability of mobile content on the web. For some strange reason, even though I haven't used it in years, I'm still sad to see it go. I used it heavily when I first started syncing content from the web to my PDA many years ago. I remember it fondly for the service provided in those early days of mobile web content.

Quote:
Avantgo is a service that scraped websites and sync'd the content to your mobile device allowing you to read articles on the go. Effective June 30, 2009, they are dropping the service. I am actually surprised it is still around. It was neat to use when few mobile devices had online access or even lacked a real browser, but for several years not, just about everyone has full time all-you-can-eat data plans. The exact wording on their page is a bit strange:

"AvantGo is changing! From June 30, 2009, AvantGo will no longer be providing mobile content."
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote