View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #22266
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Getting Japanese long-stay visas is an easy process. When I came here as a single guy, all I needed was my diploma, letter from a Japanese employer stating how much I'd be paid, and a simple health check, and I was given a three-year visa. After marrying a Japanese woman, all I needed was a copy of the marriage license and the application form, for another three-year visa.

Tourist visas tend to be little more than just signing your name agreeing not to work while inside a country. Even Thailand offers 'visa on arrival' or 'tourist visas' quickly and easily. It's their 'long-stay' visas that are an offense to normality.

When I had my business in Thailand, as a foreign owner, I had 20+ forms that all had to be in Thai, just for 'me.' Then, as a business owner, I was required to have 5 Thai partners, and all the paperwork for each of them too, each time I re-newed my visa (valid for one year.) And that was just for the visa. I had another sheaf of paper required (and money paid) to get a work permit each year.

However, even though the visa was valid for one year, I still had to leave the country every 90 days, and re-enter (an hour later) to get another stamp in my passport. And, of course, pay more money each time. This time I'll be entering on a long-stay 'Retirement' visa, which requires completely different forms, in both Thai AND English, for both me AND my wife. This visa will also be good for just one year, and then will need to repeat the process. And with this visa, I will still have to report to Immigration every 90 days to say "Hi fellas! I'm still here. And here's some more money."

But life in Thailand is sooo relaxed, so laid-back, the people so friendly, and cost of living so incredibly cheap, that's it's all worth the one week out of the year dealing with the Consulate to get the proper permissions. Where else on earth can you have a big house with live-in cook, gardener, and housekeeper (if you want that sort of life) for $200 a month, and yet still have ultra modern health care, shopping, and lifestyle (if you want THAT sort of lifestyle?) We tried the "Tara Gone With the Wind" living for 6 months, and moved into a smaller 3-bedroom luxury residential hotel for the next 9 years, and that was even cheaper.

Yeah... it's worth putting up with the hassle, especially when we have the 'Vent and Rant' forum to let off the steam!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote