View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
On one hand, I appreciate beautiful cover art and enjoy striking and imaginative design, especially when it's attached to books I read and buy. On the other, I read and buy Baen books, which are … notorious for having the latter elements, but not in a good way.

So while a nice cover is certainly a bonus and will draw me to look at something I might not have previously (I've certainly tried a number of new authors based on their having netted a Tom Canty or Jody Lee or Bob Eggleton pic), I don't consider it a deal-breaker if the cover is bland or sometimes outright bad.

Of course, I don't see the stuff when browsing through the listings on my Kindle.

Though I must say that the combination of tacky Poser-looking 3D "art" and poorly positioned ugly fonts so common on fantasy backlist e-book re-pubs is a definite turn-off and it takes an author whose works I'm already acquainted with or has a good reputation otherwise to overcome that stigma.

As for generating your own generic cover, I say make up a template in something like Inkscape, or similar vector tool using a nice, non-system font. You can then just adjust the text and tweak the colours for each book and maybe add a picture in the background.

It may take a couple of tries until you have a reusable basic layout you're satisfied with, but after that you'll be able to generate plain but appealing covers like the ones on the B&N/Collins/Penguin Classics lines, which are mainly big blocks of solid colour with a little vaguely representative artwork to distinguish each title but have a formulaic but pleasant look and feel.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote