View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
I would like to opine that the problem may not simply be one of brightness, though I agree that there ought to be more bottom range and that anything above 60% or so is practically useless. The major problem, which may or may not be endemic (can't compare to Paperwhite, don't have one ... yet), is that even at low levels the black font begins to wash out and take on a bluish hue. I suspect that a slightly warmer light temperature might have made text appear (at least psychologically) more "black". Or else it's an issue with how exactly the light is distributed. Since we are using eReaders to avoid backlight, this is still the lesser of evils, but somewhat disappointing nonetheless. I avoid reading my Glo in total darkness.

Color temperature brings up an interesting point I noticed. If your ambient light is LED or otherwise cool, the (illuminated) Glo looks quite pleasantly white. Under regular incandescent, it looks too blue. I wonder if the reverse is true on the Paperwhite.

Hm, I also have the Cybook Odyssey and it has the same problem: the light is too bright in the dark (if you don't use the white on black night mode). It is even very slightly brighter on its lowest setting than the Glo but the Cybook does not have the bluish tint of the Glo. Its light is very white. But my eyes hurt just the same so for me at least, the problem really is the level of brightness.

I was so happy to have escaped all these numerous problems with the Paperwhite and am very happy with my choice of the Kobo and Cybook over it but now I find myself longing for the low brightness level of the Kindle. I'm waiting for the 2nd generation and hope that they work out the kinks while maintaining the possible low level of light!
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote