View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #38
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I was thinking along the same lines as rcentros: backup battery. It needs to be changed every few years. If the AA batteries fail, or are changed while the backup battery is dead, you'll lose any data on the Alphasmart.
Well, if it wasn't dead before, I just killed it, I think.
I just bought a set of Torx drivers (I had a T10 but not a T6). All splendid. Managed to get the old battery out and the new one in without violence. But I think I must've broken something in the process because it's "Dead Jim" now. Or it was on its last legs. I was super careful and it didn't even flicker when I used the On button. I'll examine the corpse again today in case I've managed to knock something out (although it all looks "good"). There was one cable that sits next to where the battery cover screws in that was disconnected but although I didn't notice it on the first try, I can't see anywhere on the board etc where it plugs in. I think it may've been an un-used feature or something?

What is super depressing is that pulling apart computers and putting them back together again used to be my job. How quickly the knack vanishes.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote