View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Are you ready to read fiction set during Covid?

I'd read the earlier books in the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths so when my library acquired the most recent book I put it on hold and then downloaded when it was available, all without reading the blurb. I often don't read the blurb if it's a book in a series because I'm already familiar with the author and characters and like going in not knowing what the plot is.

It became obvious in the first chapter that this book is set during the early pandemic era. I just didn't want to read that now. Maybe someday when it's farther in the past I'll be ready for it. I returned the book without reading past the first chapter. I them read a bunch of Goodreads reviews until I found enough spoilers to let me know what happened with the main characters.

I guess it's a difficult choice for an author - should they include the pandemic which has obviously affected all of our lives so dramatically? Or have their characters go on in a fictional world like the pandemic never happened?

So what do Mobilereaders think? Have you read fiction set during the pandemic? Or are you avoiding it?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote