View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #30
meowsqueak
meowsqueak began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hello Michael,

I've been trying to upgrade the Kobo firmware for about an hour now, but I'm stuck. I'm stuck at the step where you do the "Three Finger Salute".

What happens when I press all three buttons simultaneously and then release power is... nothing. However if I press them simultaneously (or even one at a time, until all three are pressed together) and hold them for a second or so, then the red and blue lights flash alternately (about five times over 1 second), and then the light goes solid red.

However, the screen does not clear (it still shows the 'cover' of the current book) and the red light immediately goes off when any one of those three buttons are released.

I've tried different combinations, releasing each button first, holding for ten seconds, using the 'hard surface' trick. Nothing I do seems to get the device into upgrade mode.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: just an additional note - I've just noticed if I press and hold Power for a second, it also does the blue/red alternate flash, then solid red, but now the device won't turn on unless I plug it back onto USB.

EDIT2: I've resolved this issue - I thought the Kobo was charged, but it turns out it was extremely empty - I left it charging overnight and tried again, and it worked. It seems that leaving it connected to a laptop the night prior doesn't charge it but runs it down instead...

Last edited by meowsqueak; 08-03-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: resolved