View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
@Hitch - that's what the new report will show - all characters regardless of where they are used as long as they are visible. Oh, and if you are pasting individual files into the program - why don't you just Merge all the files into one then copy and paste 1 file into it.
Because that was what I was trying to avoid having to do? It's just one more thing, and the list of "one more thing," particularly with the headache of SW coming online, is getting a bit long. I know I sound lazy, but trust me, we aren't--it's just ONE MORE THING. ;-) (And, on a commercial front, I'm sitting here thinking about, "do I font-shrink the original ePUB? Do I wait and do it after the [endless] revision cycle is done?" "If I wait until it's done, the client is running around with an ePUB with the whole font file embedded, and Thor alone knows where THAT will end up," "so, do I shrink each one each time, because they add hundreds of words while they're editing their work?" Thus my desire for not having to merge EVERY ePUB to test for characters/shrinking, if that explains my laziness a bit better.)

Quote:
Although Jellby requested the report primarily I think for font shrinking, the report is also just another piece of information you can check to see if there are unexpected characters, etc.

As for displaying each character per font, that as Toxaris has said is a much more involved challenge. Its not something that will be in the next release. It should be possible to get the text for tags using a specific class, but checking what font is used by the class is a bit unknown. None of this would help with ligatures though without the full text.

I'll give it some thought, but without a font shrinking program to shrink the fonts it doesn't help much. And if there is already a program to do font shrinking on an epub from the beginning, there doesn't seem to be much of a need for it.
Actually, what I said was, I'd be happy even without discreet fonts per usage, just all the chars in a given book for all fonts, but, hey, I'll take discreet font/char usage any day.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote