Thread: PRS-T2 PRS-T2
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #379
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
The technical information on this site is pretty amazing. I especially like the discussion between altruizine, rkomar, Kolenka and others on the T2 potential violation of GPL for refreshing eink algorithm. Good stuff guys, keep them honest.

I bought a white and a black T1 last year and as timing would have it, my white T1 just had half of its screen pixels not responding 2 days ago. Since it is less than a year and I bought it in the physical Sony store, I brought it back and was posed with a couple of options.

1. They can mail it back and get me a new white T1 with 3-4 weeks turn around time.
2. They can swap out my white T1 to another T2 (of any color) and I have to pay 3 years extended warranty ($30). (I don't even know what that really entails.)
and
3. They can offer #2 for my black T1 as well so kinda of a 2 for 1 option.

I oped option 2 with a matted black version instead. I paid $30 for a 3 years warranty. (even if my white one had none and it had the audio.) And kept my black T1.

Just wanted to share my experience because between this site, Calibre and Kolenka's original T1 driver, I have benefited tremendously for the last year.

BTW, I have been tracking T1 prices ever since its launch. It went DRASTICALLY reduced from initial launch price of $129, I bought it at the Sony store for $99 (+Tax around Dec. 10th) and at one point, I saw Abt Electronics offered it for $75 (Jan 2012). (Pricing mistake of some sort.)

Just in case people are looking for T1 on the cheap or want a a reference.

Thank you all and FWIW, I see no difference between screen quality of T1 and T2. If I hold down page forward button, I get T2 flipping pages faster. (after 10 second, only 5-6 pages faster.) And although I miss the audio, I really never used it. (Between MP3 players, S3, tablet and even Bose with Airplay... really never used it, even when I fill a 8GB external card with sound.)

All in all, I do love the matte black finish for the new T2.

Last edited by azxswq; 09-17-2012 at 11:29 AM.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote