View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #383
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Been slow here so here's what passed before my eyes and ears in the past few months.

Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry
Desdemona Fox is an emotionally damaged cop in rural PA, reminded me a lot of Maberry's other cracked cop, Joe Ledger. "Dez" Fox is presented with a different kind of zombie menace, these creatures were created by a scientist as an act of revenge against those who prey on the weak. His creation gets out of hand, however, and his first "patient" awakes in a small town funeral home. Chaos, as only Maberry can do it, ensues: violent, epic, and emotional chaos. 4 brains out of 5.

LZR-1143: Infection and LZR-1143: Evolution by Bryan James.
Another man-made zombie menace but what's unique in James' story is the protagonist is Mike McKnight, a Hollywood action movie star (imagine Bruce Willis' smart-ass persona in the ZA) framed for his wife's death and confined to a mental hospital. When society collapses between the chopping teeth of the undead, McKnight escapes in the company of a beautiful psychologist and a couple of other patients. What follows in the next two books are harrowing escapes, government conspiracy, and epic action scenes. 3.5 brains out of 5, some of the situations are beyond belief even for a ZA world.

Hissers by Ryan C. Thomas.
Hissers is a YA book but does not pull any punches in the gore arena. What is different is the teen angst exposed in the 4 protagonists. This angst is a bit overwrought perhaps but I admit does create an attachment between the reader and the characters. I listened to the AB version on a Xmas trip to FL and was riveted for 12 straight hours. 5 brains out of 5.

Area 187 - Almost Hell by Eric Lowther. I've only read the kindle sample so far and although A@@zon reviews rave about it, I'm not seeing it. The protagonists seem cliched; John Heath, ex-military bear of man with deep secrets who spent 5 years in the walled-off "Area 187" looking for his wife teams with a beautiful reporter who's out to uncover what the government is hiding in the infected zone of Appalachian mid-Atlantic states. No brains scored yet since it was only a sample.

Domain of the Dead by Lain McKinnon. A group of living have been surrounded for years in a warehouse by the undead. With food running low and hope fading, Sarah contemplates suicide until the sound of helicopter rotors in the distance halts her plans. Only 3 of the survivors make it to a very surprised group of soldiers who are collecting specimens for a research vessel off the coast. Flying out to the ship our heroes are relieved to be alive and rescued at last, until the lead researcher thinks he's discovered a vaccine to the undead disease. He's wrong of course, but he doesn't know that when he decides to try the vaccine on himself. Sarah and her friends find themselves trapped on the ship as the crew turns. 3 brains our of 5, way too many crisis situations are created by our heroes literally slipping, tripping, and otherwise stumbling into zombie bite range. Cheap literary devices that spoil the otherwise engaging story.

Until next time!
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote