View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I have not heard of FBReader. What makes it special? Why would there be problems getting it into Appstore?

This latest update doesn't break anything for sideloaded books right? Like Whispersync.
Poor wording on my part. Nothing inherent in FBReader would cause a problem with the Appstore, as there are many reader apps available (Kindle, Bluefire, readMe, Stanza, etc), just depends on what the developers want the app to do and whether that meets the Apple policies. My point is, until someone makes the app and submits it we won't know. And a well-known versatile and free video app for computers (VLC) was removed from the app store over licencing issues.

Unless the FBReader developers (or some ultra-keen software guru) take the time to make an iOS version, we won't have a decent FB2 reader on the iPad. I like readMe for functionality, but having compared it to Bluefire and even the Kindle app I am of the opinion that the text display is quite poor in readMe. Hence there are currently no decent FB2 apps for the iPad (unless someone has another they have found?).

What makes FBReader so special is that on eInk devices it provided an excellent reader for many formats (like FB2, Mobi, Doc, RTF, TXT, etc.) and an alternative to ADE for ePub (although the handling of ePub formatiing is still not that great). FBReader users tend to have at least a passing familiarity with FB2 as a format, and for reading straight eBooks/novels it is a great format (IMHO).
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote