Thread: NYT Kindle obit
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
A friend of mine with an ipad made the point that many ipad owners will have downloaded ibooks and bought something to try out the process - thereby inflating the initial figures. Also, it isn't clear whether free books are included in the "purchases". When Jobs quotes 5 billion downloads from the app store, I think that this includes both free apps and updates to existing apps; my point is that they, like most businesses, like quoting big numbers, but such statistics need treating with care.

In the long term, I'm sure that it's right that once screen and battery technology allow a general purpose tablet computer to work in sunlight, not get hot, last for weeks off one charge, etc. - and be reasonably cheap, then the purpose-built reader will not have a place any longer. The notion ink adam already looks like a step in this direction.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote