View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #16
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I don't think it makes any difference to me.

I am coincidentally currently reading an ebook which has about the same number of pages as the pbook I just finished (Mote in God's Eye - paperback, 560 pages vs Promise of Blood - ebook, 561 pages). And yes, I'm making much faster progress in Promise of Blood, but I think it's largely down to the more modern writing style. Mote... comes from a time when 200 pages was a novel, Promise... is only a few years old, and I'd say the norm now is about 350-400 pages. Even if that sometimes means printing big.
I agree. Books written in modern style are easier and faster to read. I remember having read The Nine Unknown (1923) by Talbot Mundy during last month, it took me around double the time to finish due to its ornamental English and writing style used a century ago. Frequent use of dictionary to understand the words was an added task.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote