View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #62
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In the end, I trashed the N4 (literally) and ordered a Moto G5.

N4 <-> G5;

Quadcore 1.5 GHz <-> Octacore 1.4 GHz (Both Snapdragon/Qualcomm; the G5 is about 2.5 times as powerful as the N4, and the N4 was already good enough.)
2GB RAM <-> 3GB RAM
3g internet <-> 4g internet
4.7 inch <-> 5 inch (size approx the same, but N4 needs a cover because it's made out of glass... the G5 is plastic)
1280x720 <-> 1920 x 1080 (don't care)
16 GB Storage <-> 16GB Storage
2100 mAh battery <-> 2800 mAh battery
Fixed/Glued <-> Replaceable

The G5 runs Android 7.x (don't know the exact version) and is slated for an update to Android 8.x. People are also busy with getting LineageOS 14.1 and 15 (Android 7.x and 8.x) onto it, and everything seems to be working.

Best thing: this phone has a replaceable battery, as did ALL OF MY OTHER PHONES before the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4's battery life was OK for my light use, but it always has been at the bottom of the range. The G5 seems to be average; only high-end smart-phones are better.

Just as with laptops, I'm going to adopt the stance of "no replaceable battery? Then I don't want it", except if the device is *really* cheap and I don't expect it to last longer than a year or two. I use my phones and laptops for 4-5 years, and if they sitill perform well enough, that might be extended until they utterly fall apart or just *really* can't run what I want them to.

If nothing strange happens, the €175 Moto G5 will do. I only need a smartphone for a few things:

- Calls
- Whatsapp
- Public transport apps
- Internet
- Navigation
- Sometimes: Youtube, if I'm too lazy to go and find my 5 year old Galaxy Tab tablet.

That's about it.

I hope to receive it tommorrow, or I might be out of a phone during christmas.
That is about the same I use my phone for, but I include mail and news. Like I said, I bought the G4 back then. For me good enough and I do not see the reason to buy a 'flag-ship' when this is good enough for me.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote