View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Marshal Kilgore
Enthusiast
Marshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: PocketBook 631
Thumbs up Localization and new build works fine, but some quirks to report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
... I finally finished a new custom windows build and installer (dumping py2exe). ... I would be particularly interested in whether it works on non english windows installs. ...
My System:
- Windows XP Professional SP3 (fully patched and updated, albeit heavily slimmed with nLite.)
- Localization: German (but the "Dokumente und Einstellungen=Documents and Settings" folder has been renamed "Benutzerprofile" (user profiles) and "Eigene Dateien=My Documents" has been moved to drive D:\.)
- Calibre v. 0.6.16.

First I tested an update, using the 'Advanced' option:
- Uninstalled calibre (small bug: old uninstaller failed to delete itself) and run new Windows installer, using the 'Advanced' option.
- Chose 'Install for all users'.
- Installer proposed "C:\Programme=Programs\Calibre - E-book Management" as default installation folder.
- On first run, calibre detected the configuration files in "%appdata%\calibre" and applied these settings.

Then I simulated a clean install, using the 'Install' option:
- Uninstalled calibre, deleted all *.py-files manually and run new Windows installer, using the 'Install' option.
- Calibre was automatically installed in the correctly localized equivalent of "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apps\Calibre - E-book Management" (as reported by itimpi.)

Localization and new build works fine (albeit no responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information.)

But there are some quirks with the installer:
- 'Install' should use the same default installation folder as 'Advanced'. If this behavior is really automatically chosen by the windows installer software, maybe it's because calibre is only installed for the active user when choosing 'Install'.
- The font for the license text is IMHO too large, especially in relation to the installer's window (albeit no one reads that stuff anyway.)
- All files are copied write-protected to the installation folders.

With a clean install, the first-run wizard suggests "C:\Benutzerprofile\<user>\Calibre Bibliothek=C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Calibre Library" for calibre's internal database, instead of a subfolder of "My Documents".
If that's not intended, the wizard fails to recognize where "My Documents" has been moved on my system.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for such a great project which gets improved at a rate that puts most commercial software to shame!
Marshal Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote