View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
RMSDK 9.1 is not happy with the CSS in SSM02.epub and emits the following errors:
Code:

W_CSS_PARSE_ERROR file:///.../SSM02.epub/OEBPS/pdlmsr.css BadSelector
W_CSS_PARSE_ERROR file:///.../OEBPS/pdlmsr.css syntax error
RMSDK 9.2 handles the files correctly (and renders both correctly). So it looks like a bug handling the text encoding format, that has been fixed (Peter could confirm this).

Unfortunately ADE 1.7 is using a fairly old version of the RMSDK 9.1 or before IIRC. Here's hoping Adobe will come up with a more modern version of ADE.
But why is ADE using the bold font instead of the regular font? That's just odd. Anyway, I do see one major issue happening with ADE.

As ADE improves, we are going to have a lot of devices out there with an old version of ADE. So the problem will be that ePub eBooks will have to pander to these older versions instead of using any of the new features. So when ePub gets upgraded, it won't matter as we'll have old ADE that needs to work. I doubt every company will be updating all their readers and/or apps. This is going to cause a splintering if publisher go with new ePub features.

For example, I doubt Sony would update the 500, 505, 300, 600, 700, 650, 350, & 950 with a newer ADE. If Sony was to use a newer ADE, it would be on a newer reader. And this would mean when ePub is updated to use CSS3, and ADE follows, and publishers start using CSS3, all those Sony users would be stuck big time.

I think Adobe should have made it mandatory for companies to update the ADE as they do as long as it would run on the given hardware. That way, we would not have to worry about updated spec with non-updated ADE.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-10-2011 at 03:48 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote