Thread: 903 My PB 903
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
My PB 903

I finally got it 88 days after I ordered it, 7 working days after it was shipped.

My PB 903 arrived on Wednesday morning, when I wasn't home. As the address was missing the floor number and apartment number, the delivery team looked for the administrator of the building and the package was signed for by a neighbour. On the DHL track and trace the address was also missing the city and postal code, and in what I can only consider to be an attempt to compensate, on the Romanian form my the address had the name of the city twice in a row. Inside the box there was a sheet of paper from PocketGoods with the full and correct address, but that can only be seen if you open the package, so it doesn't help.

The next day I got an email from DHL as a reply to my question (from Dec. 31st) about the status of the delivery, telling me that it was delivered so there was no problem. At least I know that trying to contact DHL is pointless.

First impressions
It looks nice. Really nice. I like the colour and it doesn't feel too heavy considering that because of the size I will hold it with both hands or propped against something.

As I connected it to the PC for the first charge, it obviously turned on, and I went and flipped the pages of the licence agreement just to see how the text changes on the page. I must have pressed the on/off button by accident because the keyboard got locked and I found myself not being able to accept the terms. It wasn't a big problem since the natural reaction to non-responding electronics is to turn off then back on, and I finally noticed the key symbol on the top right corner. But that just made me look for the key mapping choices.

So now begin the real questions: why is the screenshot an option only for the on/off button? Why isn't the return button on the list, especially since according to the manual it is supposed to force shutdown with a long press and it doesn't?

I tried the wifi connection and the test connection option went great. Then I tried the webbrowser application and it didn't work. That was when I decided to let it charge and I turned it off. After about 9 hours I played with it again and without changing anything the webbrowser worked, though it asked for the network key again.

The webbrowser itself is a little strange. There is, of course, the fact that it doesn't work in landscape, only portrait, but there are also other issues. It seems that the touchscreen calibration doesn't work here. I recalibrated a few times and also looked at how it works in scribble application and it is fine everywhere else. In the browser the little black arrow just doesn't correspond to the location where I place the stylus, and it is annoying since I need a little more precision when it comes to selecting items from the menu.

A nice thing is that web comics look great. It was annoying that I couldn't get a screenshot. Why doesn't that function work inside the browser? Do the buttons have different functions here? Is there somewhere where I can change those functions? I can see that the home button takes me to the home page and not the home of the device.

I also tried sudoku and snake, and it looks like I could use them to get used to the stylus. The scribble application is ok, although it could deffinetly use some improvements like an option to use at least one more level of gray for drawing.

I'll have to take a better look at the notes options for pdf. I tried to use the AdobeViewer and the notes function is a more twisted way to bookmark, while in the pdfviewer it looked like if was trying to do something (it asked for a name), but I just don't know where the note is.

This is it for now. I'll play around with it and write a review.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote