View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #116
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
jprince's post perfectly describes what I saw so copying his post and just editing the relevant parts.

First eight characters of serial number: G090 G105
Firmware version before you started this procedure: 5.8.11

Feature related:
Was this Kindle registered with Amazon? no
Was this an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle? maybe? purchased used
Was a passcode set? no

Special sub-steps:
Did you clear the passcode before the downgrade? no passcode was not set
Did you do the 'Reset (to factory results)' sub-step? no, it was already factory reset when I got it. Never connected to wifi, no books ever loaded (by me). However, I did run the following and didn't factory reset afterwards (yeah, stupid of me).
Code:
;dm
;st {date time}
;dm
Internal data related:
Using the Kindle's Cloud Account or local or both? neither
Where you using collections? no
Where you using bookmarks? no
Where you using annotations? no
Native language in use: US English

Kindle Hung:
What is the filename of factory initial update that was used? update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin same file used for two successful jailbreaks
Which mirror did you get it from? adrive
Confirmed
MD5: 5d38744bd01f4cbf457dae4499c3c32a
SHA1: 3a5d9418a0cdb307f27494ddddd6c187160e8641

Approximately how long did the downgrade process run? 10-20 minutes?
What was showing on the screen when it 'hung'? It cycled to boot, however, the "active" graphics don't fill the whole screen, rather the upper right.

When the USB cable was connected, Kindle to PC, could you see the storage on the Kindle? yes, originally, however, after trying DO_FACTORY_RESTORE, it no longer mounts user store. However, the first time after that, it proceeded to ask what language I wanted to use. The graphics were/are still small, but the onscreen hit targets matched as if it were full size. Regardless, hitting Next lead back into boot cycling
What sort of response did your PC make when you plugged in the Kindle? originally, mounted via USB for a short time
Did using a USB-2 vs a USB-3 port on the PC make a difference? n/a
Was this same cable and same port working normally before the downgrade? yes

Normally, a Kindle is re-booted without any USB cable connected.
Leave the USB cable connected, Kindle-to-PC, re-boot Kindle (hold power button 40 seconds or more, ignore any pop-up panels seen).
What was the result? Same, now. Actually, 40 seconds doesn't seem to change anything. It continues to boot cycle as if you were not holding the power button.

What OS and OS version in use on your PC: Windows 7 32-bit
USB-2 or USB-3 ports, or both? USB-2

Recovery:
If your PC could 'see' the Kindle storage (even briefly) try putting a file named:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
(all caps, no extension, no contents)
into the top level of visible USB storage.
Then use the power button to re-boot the Kindle
describe the result here: Described above

Does the 'hung' Kindle boot far enough to show the main screen, can you access the search bar? no

Yes, I know I shouldn't have done the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE per hius' warning. I got impatient. Might eventually try a serial debrick but in no hurry to do so.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote