View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
meh. there will always be bugs... there hasn't been a "stable" release for years now, yet the "stable release channel" (the github repo) has releases. it's confusing.

and those incrementing version numbers say absolutely nothing. they don't say anything about the severity of the update (like semver would do), so you might as well just say that people are supposed to read what's going on straight from the git hash checksums. they are useful for *machines*, so they can tell there is a new version coming. but users? you're really expecting people to remember they have r1410 installed and "oh lookahere! r1416 came out!" most people won't even *notice* those numbers.

i know, because i notice and remember numbers very well, and *i* didn't notice there was an incrementing number next to the date until, well, very recently. i basically spent two years not using Koreader because I thought development had stalled.

a date is a well-recognize semantic unit. it tells time. right now, the clock is broken and stuck 2 years ago. can we get the clock going again?
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote