View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Top 10 on what scale? Where's The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley? LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy? Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke?

I think this may be "10 books we get a bonus for recommending*," because I can't see anything on the list that singles those out above award-winning and other excellent fantasy novels. I'm sure they're all excellent novels, but I've read none of them and only recognize two by name.

If we're looking at popularity and widespread impact, Rowling is missing.

Gail Baudino, Mercedes Lackey, Phillis Eisenstein, Ellen Kushner, Diane Duane?

I suppose McCaffrey and L'Engle both maybe count as "science fiction."

* Maybe that's too cynical, and it's just "10 books we think you can still find in print form." Or "10 books published by agency publishers." (I didn't check.) Or possibly it's "this author honestly thinks these are the 10 best fantasy novels ever written by women," but that would be almost too pathetic to contemplate.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote