View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #93
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I thought this was a good article on the Kindle (may have been posted in the news section but pertains to this convo)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/e...-me/#continued

I think DRM should be in ebooks if its in a rental format say you get it from a library for 3 weeks and it expires but once I buy the book I shouldn't have to worry about a DRM issue. Amazon locks the amount of times that you can download a book that you bought yet it prides itself on being a connected reader so you don't need to use your pc with it those two just don't go together. I have a sony reader and I never wanted to buy books from there, I think I bought 2 or 3, because your books are forever trapped in their odd format that will be obsolete one day. The Kindle is great for the computer illiterate who don't want to find other place to buy books and need a one stop shop but I wouldn't want it for myself or recommend it to anyone that has the ability to search around google for alternate site to get books from since everything is trapped in their world. Most devices don't last and most formats become obsolete, unless they are using the most popular formats today then there is a high chance that 5 years from now your device won't be able to read their formats and I just don't have time to deal with that when there are other options out there.

I like the Irex devices, they solve all of my needs for now. Maybe when Plastic Logic comes out I'll get one of those but for now I'm good
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote