View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #165
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I hadn't thought of the use to look up a characters name/introduction that I had forgotten. I might have to start doing that. What I've been doing for this need, is the very first time a characters name is mentioned, I highlight it. Then when that character pops up again later and I've forgotten who they are, I manually search through my highlights. Is it the X-Ray feature that also does this? I don't use X-Ray much, since most of my books are side-loaded from Calibre and I don't think X-Ray works with those. I might be doing something wrong though. I'll have to try the search feature for character references now. I just never thought to try it.
Yes, Xray can be used for character searches (and more). I find it very useful.

If Calibre doesn't change the size of the azw3 file, Xray should work fine, but you need to jump through a few hoops to get the Xray file.

First, you need to copy the as delivered from amazon azw3 file to a subdirectory in the documents directory on the kindle. (It's been my experience that putting the azw3 directly in the documents directory results in it getting changed to KFX after connecting to WiFi.)

Second, connect to WiFi and open the book. The kindle will then download the XRAY.entities.ASIN.asc to the book's .sdr subdirectory. Then you can copy the XRAY file to someplace safe, remove the book from the device, copy the book with Calibre, open it, close it, and put the XRAY file in the book's .sdr subdirectory.

If the azw3 from Calibre is larger than the one direct from amazon, the metadata has been changed, but I am pretty sure the XRAY file can still be salvaged with a bit of SQL.

If you have configured Calibre to resize images, change style, etc, it would get much trickier, but might still be possible. I think Calibre takes specification of device model as permission to make various changes to books.

At least for me, simply using Calibre to run the plugin from Alf and friends does not require any changes to the Xray file. (I always directly copy the Alf'd azw3 to my kindle so I have no idea what is required to prevent Calibre from mucking with the azw3 during the copy.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote