View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The full book page numbering for kepubs is supposed to be one page per screen. And it changes with the font settings. But, there are a couple of bugs. The main one I notice is that the last page in a chapter doesn't always increment. The other one seen is that in longer chapters, the page numbering doesn't always increment for each turn. This happens about one in eight pages. This seems to get worse with more complex page coding or with images.

I haven't noticed what you are reporting with kepubs. For epubs, skipping a page at the end of a chapter does happen. And if you page backward, the page does show. It has something to do with exactly where on the screen the page break would happen. For kepubs, some of the page calculation is done when the book is added to the device, some is done the first time it is opened and the rest as the book is read. I have an idea that the problem is something to do with the relative size of the internal files in the book. There is also an issue with what is in the ToC. In the past, when there was not a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the internal files, there were some interesting problems. Most have been fixed, but, I think there are still some problems.

Unfortunately, without seeing the book, it is hard to work out what is actually happening.
In the kepub I was reading, it was skipping three pages every chapter change and when I would key back a page the pages were still missing, so a little different to the ePub issue you described. The book was purchased from kobo, A Pocketful of Rye by Agatha Christie.

The current kepub I’m reading is doing the same thing, except with only two pages skipped per chapter. It is a side loaded omnibus I converted from the kindle format.

I could describe the behavior as ‘consistently erratic’. The only thing that slightly annoys me is obviously the page discrepancy becomes gigantic when reading the omnibus editions.

I need to have the zoomable images and stats though, I need my stats. I live in hope maybe one day kobo will fix their kepubs.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote