View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Speaking of someone who learned to type in 1975, "enter enter" is a hard habit to break.
Well, I learned in the late 60's, and somehow, I've managed to figure out that the program wraps text FOR you. I can't believe how many of these I get!

Quote:
But as someone who has helped others learn computer skills, I somewhat feel you pain.
The pain isn't the file--it's bloody EXPLAINING IT. They do not understand the problem, no matter how many screenshots I send displaying the pilcrows, sample conversions to explain what will happen, if it's not cleaned up..it's laborious at best. (I pretty much lose money on every job like that--the explaining alone is more than an hour, usually.)

Quote:
Years ago, in the late 80's early 90's, I was a part of a local food co-op. For a time, I received orders from users, many via fax. One gal's order always came through with half the page nothing but smears/static. Finally got it figured out...she was turning off her fax machine before it was done slurping the paper all the way through. She thought that was ok.
That's a riot. I once walked into a network installation, back in the ADDS terminal days, to see a reservations clerk pounding the top of an ADDS monitor, (like you would pound an old tube TV, to get better reception), to make the reservation she was looking for "fall down out of the machine" to display for her. Oy!

Quote:
Then there was the insurance agent who had a template Word File he used, and he wanted to print out 25 or so each Monday. Went to his office to help straighten out what he said wasn't working right. He would open Word, print 1 copy, then fire up his scanner and make 24 copies, which were fuzzy and not clear. I was speechless.
Snort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How about a video game or virtual reality. Or maybe an injection of AI
I wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I sometimes put together screenshots for folks I work with, using the "Snipping Tool" that comes with Windows 7. It always open the screenshot directly in front of the application. After copy > pasting the screenshot into Word or email, I have occasionally caught myself clicking on the Snipping Tool screenshot instead of the application...although I am able to figure out what's wrong PDQ!

I'd suggest you tell the user to open the PDF beside the browser/application window...but I suspect that's too technical for this crowd. Assuming they'd even read that instruction.

I feel for ya, Hitch.
Most of them don't know how to move from tab to tab in a browser, so I'm not holding out a lotta hope for the "open the browser to half-your-screen and open the PDF on the other." Actually, I'm thinking to tell them to print it out. I hate to tell them to waste that much paper, but...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote