View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #191
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
There's a world of difference between a dedicated e-reader and an iPhone. A dedicated e-reader just reads books - there's not much you can offer the customer to persuade them to upgrade to the newest model, just like it's really a hard sell to get someone to upgrade to the newest model of a can opener. As long as single-function devices perform their task, people are less likely to get the new model.

A iPhone isn't really a phone at all. It's a portable computer that just happens to make phone calls. Few people upgrade to the new model of the iPhone based on the telephone functionality. With computers - whether that computer is a desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone -, there is always a "killer app" that just won't work with the previous model.

With e-books, as long as the format is supported, the reader will never become obsolete. If I dust off a Windows 95 computer, that computer will be of very little use. I could run some very old programs, but not anything new. But a dedicated e-reader will continue to work just as well until it breaks, assuming that the format isn't abandoned. There's just far less incentive to upgrade a dedicated e-reader than there is to upgrade a general purpose device.
And a world of difference between a can opener and an ereader, don't you think? ;-)

My point is, everything depends of demand and offer, and the created necessity for a device. We have been convinced that we need a phone every 2 years but we can actually keep using the one we had 5 years ago. As a matter of fact, I own a Motorola Rzr that still works like a charm.

The thing with ereaders is that the market (and demand) for multi-purpose devices is now bigger. The fact that a device can still work without changes does not necessary means it won't be upgraded for a newest one. In my opinion, the created necessity is what dictates that.

Of course, support or lack of it, can force a replacement, but in some cases it will not, like I said, with cellphones, even cars.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote