View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I do. I use a nearly 3 year old Acer netbook, running Ubuntu. When I switched to Ubuntu I took out the stock 160 GB hard drive (with Windows XP on it) and installed a 320 GB drive. I use the Open Office suite. The nicest thing about Ubuntu (or other Linux distros) is the ability to switch among virtual screens -- that eases the difficulty of dealing with such a small screen.

The small screen is a bit of a challenge, but I've gotten used to it. I will admit that I (long ago) used to write on an Epson Geneva PX-8 with an 80 column by 8 line display (no descenders on lower case letters). The netbook is a huge step up from that. Still, I do use cut-and-paste more frequently with the netbook.

As far as writing "on the go" -- mostly, I use it in the house. I use it in the living room in the morning and in front on the TV at night. I have taken it out to a Barnes & Noble and our local library a few times and used their wi-fi, but not nearly as often as I thought I would.

I use the netbook every day and I'm very happy with it, but I won't automatically replace it with another netbook when the time comes. I do use the SD slot to transfer files, but I still miss a DVD/CD drive. I've found myself checking out 14 inch laptops lately. I'd say it's a toss-up right now as to which way I go.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote