Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
Kobo eReader syncing problems

Hi folks,

Mucho Kobo eReader weirdness ...

I ran into problems after trying to load an epub I purchased from Kobo books. I tried load the file onto my Kobo eReader, but after transfer (via Adobe Digital Editions on my Mac) the device froze on the "Please wait while your Kobo eReader processes new content". The progress bar did not advance beyond about 15%. A reset via a paperclip in the back was required. I tried again, had a similar freeze, but the new book finally appeared in the eReader library after the reset. Every time I plugged in my Kobo eReader afterwards, I had problems after ejecting the device with the same freezing and reset required. Kobo support suggested I'd need to return the device, which I'm not thrilled about.

It's outside the 30-day return period, so I figured I'd just cope for a little while (carrying a paper clip at all times!) while I visited my parents. My mom has a Kobo eReader, too. I tried hooking up my eReader with her ADE (on a PC, running Vista) to see if I still had problems after hooking up to another computer. This time, after ejecting, my device operated normally (without need for paper-clip reset).

Unfortunately ... we also tried hooking up my mother's device with my computer. Now *she* has the problems I had (and hooking it up with her own PC hasn't fixed them the way it seemed to fix mine). I'm feeling pretty awful about this!

So ... is there something wrong with my ADE? My computer? Anyone else have anything similar to this happen? Advice?
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote