View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #78
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I do so enjoy it when enthusiastic (and knowlegable) users like CWatkinsNash dive in with helping out the plugin support...

@markdek and others - all good questions. And given that this combining and integration of so many plugins is only a day or two old it would be fair to say that no-one has figured out all the uses and possibilities yet.

There could well be further tweaks to this which make it work a little better. I've already commented once on this thread about an optimisation to ensure that people who decide to retain their sync list only get items that are not already on the device synced to it. I'm still pondering on that one, as I said previously there are complications. Here are some of the variants I could do for instance...

- only sync items in your list that are not on the device. Probably suits most people. I need to ask Kovid/chaley how to identify whether a book has its 'ondevice' value set for a given book id.

- store in each list more information for each book in the list, rather than just its id. Such as an indication whether it has been synced to the device as yet. Then when you do a sync, it only sends books that according to the list it has not sent previously. So if you wanted to "force" a book to be sent again (e.g. you updated its metadata or got a better version), you could just remove/add it to the list again.

Implementing either of these options would ensure that the Kindle Collections job would not be unnecessarily triggered when you had no changes to your lists.

The last option is tempting me though it is likely the biggest amount of work. It would pave the way for future functionality related to the state of individual books on a list. For instance, a while ago someone requested the ability to define and send multiple news recipes to multiple devices. I came up with a possible way to implement that, but it would require identifying news items in your lists to be able to delete them only when a news book has been removed from all lists. That could be more easily achieved I think if I stored some further information for each book on your list. Note I am not committing to that functionality at this point as there are other complications that may need calibre additions to address, but down the line it could make sense.

So I welcome all the feedback on this thread and read with great interest what uses you all are finding for this plugin and the options it has.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote