Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #1510
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Well, ok.

After thinking back and forth about this, I came to the following conclusion:

First and foremost, because this is the only thing that most of the folks asking are interested in anyway: I don't have the time or energy to play Lab126's war games, so JBPatch will not support new firmwares anymore. I've outlined the reasons many times. Curse me if you want, but better yet, go and complain to Amazon about their developer- and consumer-hostile policy. It was entirely their deliberate decision to show us (and you) the middle finger again and again.

That said, JBPatch is still maintained. But the only firmware versions that will be supported from now on are 5.1.2 (Kindle Touch) and 5.3.4 (Kindle Paperwhite).

Both of these firmwares are great at doing what an e-book reader is meant to do - namely: to let you read books. And JBPatch can add a few other great features... like... hyphenation (I can't help it - that still is the single number one killer feature for me, personally. The default layout is simply horrible without hyphenation, especially for languages with a lot of long words, like german).

I realize that Amazon is also adding desirable features to their new FW releases. But at the same time, they also make it prohibitively difficult to enhance them. So it's your choice in the end - go with a new firmware, or stay with an old one that JBPatch supports.

Last edited by ixtab; 09-12-2013 at 05:32 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote