View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
JoseWriter
JoseWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle, iPad
Just a question

The question is why did I run my ebook file through Calibre to create an epub?

Well, I didn't do it just to create an epub. I created the epub file out of Indesign CS5.5, then I ran epucheck 1.2 and it passed with flying colors. I pulled it into Calibre to create an epub file that is supposedly optimized for the ipad, i.e. using better resolution, or not sure what exactly it does, but it seemed like a good idea. The resulting file looked great on my iPad, and it passed epubcheck again. Next, I had to upload it to Apple iBooks. That is where the problems began.

Apple uses a program called Transporter, that essentially checks the file again. Lots of things that were fine with epubcheck were NOT fine with Transporter. For example, it kicked out every image file I had linked into my epub if it had a space in the file name for the image. It also kicked out over a hundred index files because my Indesign file name I used to create the epub had a space in the name. Rather than tweak and edit the epub file, I went back to Indesign, renamed all my images and other file names, and generated the epub again. Everything was great, except for the bookmark file that Calibre inserts. And thanks to the Forums, I was able to find a fix from Kovid.

If anyone can straighten me out on an easier way to do any of this, I would appreciate it as I will have a lot of iBooks uploads in the next few months.
JoseWriter is offline   Reply With Quote