View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
For the first 5 or 6 years of me having ereaders there were no real options for library ebooks. OK so my local library were signed up to a system but their selection was tiny. Then they changed to a system that only works with phones or tablets.

During that time I built up an impressive TBR list. So whilst it bothered me a bit, I didn't care enough to go to great lengths over it. I did look at some libraries that did out-of-area subscriptions but they cost money, at which point I figured I wouldn't use the library enough to justify it.

At a certain point I became aware it was possible for me to join the neighbouring county's Overdrive system and I did that. However that's based on a kind of "jurisdictional overlap" was has caused issues. The library of which I'm a member is based in my town and has four physical branches. One of these, whilst still technically in my town is over the border in the next county. Through that there's a link and we qualify to join their Overdrive. However twice I've had my account randomly disabled. The first time it happened I got passed from pillar to post - Overdrive told me to contact the library, the library could see I was on their system but I didn't have a card (I did but for *my* library), they advised me to sign up - in frustration I tried but didn't qualify (I live in the next county). I had to make a special trip to the one branch where it overlaps and a nice lady somehow fixed it for me. She wasn't sure herself but I was checking on my phone to make sure it worked!

The second time it happened I shrugged and left it because it had been such a hassle and I wasn't reading as much in general. I randomly checked a couple of months later and it was working again. Just checked now, still is

Anyway, I do use the library but in the past it hasn't been a super smooth process so sometimes it's not my first thought.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote