View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #74
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Speaking of WWII reads, a non-fiction read just popped up in my Kindle alerts for $2.99 (Canadian) and I was so intrigued that I bought it. It was NPR best book of 2017 apparently.

The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine Who Outwitted America's Enemies by Jason Fagone

Has anyone here heard about it and read it? It is apparently The NPR best book of 2017.

I think my reading interests are moving in a different direction. I am starting to become interested in reading more about this era, both fiction and non.
Actually, I read that book a mere month ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I am glad that Elizebeth Friedman is finally getting some recognition for the work she performed, though many others got the credit for it rightly or not.

For this book, no knowledge of math or even code-breaking is required. Up to this point all of my knowledge of WWII intelligence has been restricted to the European theater (Spymistress: The True Story of the Greatest Female Secret Agent of World War II by William Stevenson), and the knowledge that the US had broken the Japanese code early in the war. This book gave me a better understanding of the state of the art leading up to that war (that is, after the events of The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes by Mark Urban), as well as how things progressed on this side of the battle.

Overall, it is a book I would recommend.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote