View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Kindle also can't pronounce "hatchling" and pronounces "bow" only one way ("boe"), whether you're talking about the arrow-throwing device, the front of a ship, or the action indicating formal respect.

I suspect that it mostly uses a phoneme-based pronounciation system. It must be pretty sophisticated, but that would explain why it runs into trouble on some fairly common (in my reading, at least) words that would be *easy* (I mean, "hatchling"?) if it were using a word-based pronunciation system.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote