View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #616
Flutteryshy
Flutteryshy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've been having some trouble with MapleRead SE lately. It won't always display an epub file's fonts. I can't find out when it will or won't. I'm reading one particular book. In Calibre's viewer and editing preview, the book looks fine. I'm not doing anything fancy. Just a font for the chapter name and first letter. I tried it on iBooks on the same iPad I use MR on and it looks fine, and on my phone in iBooks. I bug checked in Calibre and ran it through a few online validators. Fine. Tried other epubs with different fonts. Fine. It's just this one book.

Well, it's not just this one book. I've noticed lately if a book's files say like "body class="calibre" and calibre is defined as having ... let's say adobe garamond, it won't actually display AG in each p class in the book unless I declare AG in each p class. But not always. Sometimes.

So it's two problems.

One is minor, in that a general body declaration doesn't always work but I can work around that by defining a font in each item that needs it in the css. Minor annoyance, but fixable and also new.

The other is this one epub file, which looks fine everywhere else will NOT show embedded fonts, be they h, p, span, whatever. It works on other devices and apps and other epubs with fonts work in my MR. So there is something about *this* file that MR hates. And if I have to do a weird workaround like I have to for the body class, that's fine. But I can't figure out what it is.

Any ideas? Does OTF vs TTF matter? That's the only thing I can think of. I might just try to make a new book in calibre and copy/paste/import parts of the old book into the new one as a test, but that's tedious. I don't really care too much that this crappy book I will probably never reread again doesn't display properly, but it's something I'm coming across more and more and I want to figure out how to identify something that is buggy but doesn't trigger bug checks.
Flutteryshy is offline   Reply With Quote