View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1188
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition

I'm back.
I always had been fond of my Xoom 1, although there had been some harsh reviews about it.
I actually prefer it over the Samsung Tabs. On all my Samsung units I have the same issue: I switch all my tablets and readers off, because I often don't use them for days or weeks (usually focusing on the 2 or 3 newest gadgets, not the older ones) and don't want to stress the batteries too much. When starting "cold", all my Samsung units take forever to start. That's even true for my beloved Galaxy Note: All the Samsungs make a media scan and for whatever reason this takes forever...
And I love the form factor of Xoom, I prefer 16:9 (or 16:10 or something like that) over 4:3.
So, naturally I considered Xoom 2. I finally decided for the Media Edition, mainly for 2 reasons:
a.) I like 7" or 8" tablets. I strongly disagree with Steve Jobs: They're not "dead on arrival", but the perfect compromise of mobility and screen estate.
b.) And the Motorola website claims, Xoom 2 has better speakers (in comparison to Xoom 2 Standard Edition) and an integrated subwoofer.

Brief first impressions:
I like it a lot.
It's very light and compact, but doesn't seem "cheap" or lightweight at all.
The display is on par with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.
The sound is good enough. Unfortunately, that's the weak spot of lots of tablets. The tiny Mono speaker of Sony Tablet P (which I really like) is a joke, for example.
Of course, as most of the times on Android tablets, there's lots of bloatware. Maybe I have to root it...
Over all: Nice. About 15% cheaper than the comparable iPads - seems realistically priced.
Question of course: Will iPad 3, delivery scheduled for tomorrow, "kill it" for me?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote