View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #122
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Imagine a foto/video camera without a card slot...
Well, maybe eventually it won't be a card slot, but some other technology (holographic crytals with NFC coupling. Water proof and sealed! ) but agree the Cloud is not going to replace somekind of local removable storage. Just like the demise of floppy drives didn't mean PCs went network only.

Quote:
The major point of removing card slot is: you can't charge 100$ per 8Gb of "extra" RAM otherwise. (kudos to Apple for inventing this wonderful business practice)
Yeah, that's my biggest complaint about Apple iPods, but notice Amazon has not gone that way yet. Their major point has be to encourage people to buy and use their clouds services, which is reasonable for a for-profit company and somewhat less evil than Apple.
It does have the minor points of less hardware cost, less support issues with people sticking stuff in the slot, less support issues with people putting incompatible or even malicious stuff on the card and some small less dev effort required to maintain the part of the code that would deal with the slot.

ApK

p.s. Kartu, nice work on PRS+. It's the main reason I'm keeping my PRS350.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote