View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
jimmyrules712
jimmyrules712 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can make a digital copy yourself, but if you're asking if you can download an illegal copy of a pirated eBook merely because you've bought the paper book, the answer is "no", any more than, say, buying a hardback version of a book entitles you to a free paperback.
It's interesting to think about though...back in the non digital age when you bought something media related (book, music, movie, etc.) you were basically buying the physical medium as much as the right to enjoy that media. But now with how terms are worded that when we buy digital media like ebooks or music we are buying a 'license' to enjoy that media with no physical medium attached to it, wouldn't having that 'license' give us the legal right to use that media regardless of when medium it is on (ereader, PC, printed on paper, etc.)? If I buy an eBook I have the right to read it on an eReader, computer, or printed on paper don't I? Does that not go both ways? (buying the physical book giving the right to read it on paper or scan it and read it electronically). If it does how does the law distinguish (or care) between whether you made the digital copy of the work you bought or used a copy made by someone else (but you still did pay for a copy).

I'm not trying to step on toes here, just interested in having a logical discussion about it.
jimmyrules712 is offline   Reply With Quote