View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I wouldn't. I don't have that level of confidence.

Even though my books tend to be written chronologically (at least so far, we're not talking a long history here), that doesn't stop me constantly going back as I find things that need to inserted or adjusted. And sometimes the changes are more dramatic, the first half of my second book got a complete overhaul after the first draft was complete.

And, as a strange sort of contradiction to my previous paragraph, I also find there there is something strangely permanent about the words once you've got them down, and I sometimes have trouble making myself change things even when I know they must be changed. If I thought I had an audience watching over my shoulder I would feel even more self-conscious about every change.

Of course this is a personal thing. If you are working off a detailed outline you may feel more comfortable that chapters, once written, will stay mostly static. It may be that you are happy to have people watch over the development of your work, and I imagine some may find it interesting to watch, but I know it's not for me. I had enough trouble deciding to reveal the finished product.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote