View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Thank you for your input, but I would like to clarify this, posted by Krystian:

Let's see if I understood. If those 10 volumes of Blame were, on average, 200 pages each... In the Cybook I would have to scroll 2000 pages as if each one of them was an eBook?

Some people mentioned about converting PDFs to Mobipocket format... Can we do it with the pictures? Compile the pics in a single volume that would be displayed as one eBook?

I've been browsing the iLiad page... The price is too high, but... Would all the problems be solved? Does it handle directories/subdirectories better? Does the bigger screen solve the PDF reading problems? Does the 16 gray scale do the difference?

PDFs to Mobi. Hmmm... Well, I've routinely morphed PDFs into Mobipocket using a combination of Adobe Acrobat (to export the PDF into Word's .doc format or into .html) and Book Designer (to convert the either of those into Mobipocket) and I get good results. However, the PDFs I've been converting tend to have fewer than 50 images per ebook - and most of them under 800x600 pixels. (That's not totally accurate as I've done - for one book - a resize from 1280x960, 32-bit color to 640x480, 256-color mode of all the pictures. Thankfully there were fewer than 20 images. )

I have found that I didn't like the direct-to-mobi conversion done by Mobipocket Creator or Mobigen because the PDF books in question didn't re-format properly - lots of inserted page numbers and title/author lines where they didn't fit. By doing a two-step process, I could run the .doc files though Word to strip out all that junk.

But I keep getting the image that much of what you want to read involves lots of pictures or may even be *ALL* pictures. In which case, you may well be happier waiting for the Astak 9.7" ebook reader. (Yes, yes. I work for NAEB, but I'd rather urge you to buy a product that suits your needs and have you be so thrilled with my suggestion that you urge your novel-reading friends to buy Cybooks from NAEB than take the chance of urging on you a device that won't be quite the right 'fit' and have you pissed off enough to give negative feedback to your friends and family.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote