View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #29
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
After acquiring a new book I will import it into Calibre but not into my main library. This is purely to let the tools do the DeDRM thing...
This is similar in concept to what I do.

I run my "main" Calibre instance on my desktop computer. Nobody has access to that other than me. This is where I import all new books, download metadata, add tags, etc. This is also where I'll do bulk downloads to my Kindle. That's rare for me, but every now and then I'll want to download a dozen books or so. I will use Calibre's "transfer to device" for that. This "main" Calibre instance is backed up to a remote server, with daily snapshots being kept for a year, then they are rolled up into monthlys after that.

My desktop Calibre instance is rsync'ed over to my server ("rsync" is a Linux command - think of it as an advanced "copy" command). This is a nightly job, but I usually invoke the script manually after adding a new book, so the nightly job is really just a backup for syncing things.

Once on my server, the Calibre library is mounted read-only into a Docker container that runs the "Calibre-Web" app. Think of "Docker" as an easy to control way of isolating apps from each other to provide more system security and functionality. "Calibre-Web" is similar to Calibre's built-in server, and similar to COPS, but I like it better than either of those. My family and a few select friends have access to my Calibre library, but only via Calibre-Web. I use Calibre-Web myself for most everything other than initial book importing and the batch downloads to my Kindle that I mentioned earlier. Single book downloads are easily done via Calibre-Web.

Calibre-Web is then made available via an Nginx/LetsEncrypt Docker container acting as a reverse proxy. Configured for HTTPS for encryption and server validation, but also configured to require client certificates for access. So things are locked down tightly to only allow access to people that I want to have access. Much more secure than login/password. This Calibre instance on my server is also backed up to a remote server. If you're wondering, why yes, I did used to work for the Redundancy Department of Redundancy!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote