View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
My Choices:
Living in Denmark my selection of ebook readers is very limited, also my student economy constrains my choice. So basically it seem to come down to these 3 readers: BeBook, IREX Iliad Book edition, or Sony RS505.

My needs:
I will mostly be using it to read fiction, and most of it in a pdf format. It would be nice to be able to read some of my manuals and articles on the device but I also have a netbook if I need that.
I will be using the device on my daily commute bus and train, so a clear screen you can read in varying light conditions. Also a nice feeling and a good system for operating the device would be good.

My Solution:
Initially I thought that the IREX would be the solution since it has the biggest reading area, though reading some of the post here I have seen a lot of praise for the Sony RS505 ease of use.

Any comments on the 3 readers would be appreciated.
For PDF, iRex iLiad by far is the superior solution.
Sony 505 is nice enough. But for PDF, it uses reflow.
Meaning, it's reformatting the page to fit on the screen. Sounds great? Actually, it changes the entire layout.
For some documents that's fine, for others it's just disturbing.
iRex iLiad instead is zooming.
Via it's touchscreen you mark the area you'd like to zoom in. Just draw a diagonal line over that area.
This area is blown to full screen.
However complicated the layout, you always can use that feature.
And your layout remains intact.
I love some unique features in its OS. It's the only reader, which can change book title or author's name on the fly, without PC.
The touchscreen makes a convenient plattform, you even can scribble in PDFs, for example playing Sudoku.

BeBook: Personally, I don't like its design.
But its advantage (and it got its fans because of that) is the vast number of file formats. For example, it supports Microsoft's reader format .lit.

Sony 505: Probably the most elegant and cool unit out there.
Since supporting ePUB, you're not bound to Sony's webshop, you can purchase from an enormous number of sources.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote