View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
where does the comma *officially* go: inside the quotes or outside, and why?
Inside the quotes.

Why? Good question. It does seem rather non-intuitive to me. But I've been reading and writing American English for about 40 years now, and that's always been the correct way, so anything else looks immediately wrong.

Do I recall correctly that it's different in British English*?

ApK

* As claimed here:
http://www.scribophile.com/academy/c...ion-mark-usage

p.s. Just flipped through some "search inside" pages on amazon.co.uk.
I checked Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling and whomever was on the current bestseller list, and while some use single quotes around dialog and others used double, they all put the comma INSIDE the quotes.

Last edited by ApK; 04-16-2013 at 03:53 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote