View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
jollino
jollino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Getting highlights on personal docs from Kindle apps onto Kindle's "My Clippings.txt"

Hello all,
I've been looking around for this but before giving up entirely I'd like to ask confirmation to you, Great Masters of Kindle.

I currently own a Kindle Paperwhite, and also use the Kindle apps on iPhone and iPad occasionally. I mostly read what Amazon considers "personal documents", ie. out-of-copyright free classics and drafts that friends send me. I have found myself to highlight quite a lot of stuff, and it's nice to have it all synchronized across devices; what's even nicer is having everything saved in the "My Clippings.txt" file.
The problem is that while highlighting something on the iPhone will find its way to the Kindle, it will not be written out ot the file. Moreover, since Amazon does not recognize the books, it won't show up at all on kindle.amazon.com. Bummer.

Incidentally, I normally email my mobi files to my @kindle.com address. I wonder if copying them directly to the Kindle would make them appear as actual books instead of "personal documents".

Is there any way to parse the actual files on the Kindle to write the highlights to a file? I found that each book with annotations has a file with the same name with extension .mbp1 inside the .sdr directory which contains chunks of stuff all beginning with the string "annotation.personal.highlight" and followed by what appears to be location information, though it looks a little random; it also seems to be only partial, because I'm reading Blindsight (converted to mobi from the epub here http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm) and I made MANY more annotations than what this file would show.

Has anyone found a way to synchronize highlights and notes made on other devices on personal documents? I find myself reading less on other devices because of this! (I'm not normal, I kow )

Thanks!
jollino is offline   Reply With Quote