Thread: 2-page spread
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Sandara01
Sandara01 began at the beginning.

Device: none
2-page spread

Hi. Sandra Kischuk here.

I am a writer/editor and need to convert a children's picture book to Kindle and Nook formats. I would like the 2 page spread because some of the illustrations spread across both pages. (landscape format) This was posted on an old thread, with much hot discussion about why anyone would want a 2 page spread. . .but this is how picture books work.

I have been experimenting with Calibre. . .with 2 distinct problems.

1) I cannot create a 2 page spread with realistic page-turning functionality. I've seen children's books on Nook, and yes, it has been done. My question is, how?

2) Although, in my experimenting, I converted from .pdf, figuring the text would stay "nailed" over the pictures if I locked it in with .pdf. It didn't work that way. Calibre split the text and the pictures so everything is strung together in a very unsatisfactory presentation. Yech. My next thought was to reconstruct the pages in .html and see if that worked better, but I figured I needed to resolve the page layout first since I didn't know if the right and left pages had to be coded separately or if I needed to code them as a unit. I don't think coding as a unit would result in the correct "paging action."

So there it is. A bunch of techie questions from someone who's just getting started. YIKES!

Sandra

Last edited by Sandara01; 10-13-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typos
Sandara01 is offline   Reply With Quote