View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Synful
Synful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Fantastic

Glad you got there in the end. And don't worry about the questions. IMHO I find it is one of those areas of Calibre that is "super flexible" at the expense of "first timer" usability. It is not a criticism aimed at the developers as this has evolved over time and with so many different devices or features to support it is obviously a complex thing to manage.

I just think along with a couple of other areas of Calibre (like setting up a library for the first time) it is a candidate for a "UI Wizard" to lead users through the steps. Choose your device, choose from a limited list of "options" such as how to display titles/store in folders, and then let the wizard take care of setting the multiple settings underneath to reflect that. If over time the user wants to change their settings, they can either fire up the wizard again or go direct as an "advanced" user into the various multitude of preferences, tweaks and plugin configurations as they do now.

The hours of time I could have saved if it had been as simple as clicking through 2 or 3 wizard screens of basic options...

YES! That sounds perfect...just a wizard to get you started. I read and read instructions but none made sense. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out on my own...but this really whooped me!! Without you guys here to steer me in the right direction....I'm pretty sure I would have been bald by now....
Synful is offline   Reply With Quote