View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Kobo's tweaked their site again, so now what you can download as is a bit more explicit (and shown directly on the product page, whereas previously you could only see it via the aggregate listings).

Basically, if it doesn't say "Adobe DRM ePub", "Adobe DRM PDF", or just plain ePub/PDF (some books are DRM-free, and now I guess you can tell which), don't buy it.

Someone in the 50% coupon thread a couple of days ago was kind enough to warn me that if it's a Web | Mobile book, then you can only read it online via the website, or one of the mobile phone apps.

They no longer seem to have the Web | Mobile description on their pages, but contrast The New World, a former Web | Mobile freebie which now has no Download Options description on its page, with Speed Dating, a freebie which does, and is available as Adobe DRM ePub.

Long story short (too late!): only get books which explicitly say in the Download Options that they're ePub or PDF. If that info's missing, you'd better hope you enjoy reading on your phone.
Thanks for the explanation. The thing that has me confused though is that it says it can be read on a Kobo reader as well. Kobo readers don't have browsers or even web access necessarily.

Edit: I clicked on the "more" and it said this book can be read on the Kobo ereader and other "select" ereaders. No other explanation of what that means though so I sent an e-mail to their help desk to ask. I'll post what they answer when I hear from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-19-2010 10-11-04 PM.png
Views:	453
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	63103  

Last edited by eric11210; 12-19-2010 at 03:17 PM.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote