View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I typically use the following css:

.flush {
margin-top: 1.25em;
margin-bottom: 0;
text-indent: 0
}

Then the text goes:

[...] leo ut convallis.</p>

<p class="flush">This paragraph will appear with a blank line above [...]
Ew. I've seen this stated a couple of times, but not been able to work out _why_.

What is the reason for preferring this approach to an "empty paragraph" / line break tag / etc? Doesn't this break the principle that HTML should be semantic, and that it should degrade gracefully?

Suppose you do this on a website. Suppose you also have some styling that unfortunately makes it unreadable for me on my device - due to colour, screen width, font choice / size or something. In my case, I have a netbook with an 800px wide screen - which is too narrow for some sites. So I disable styles (View -> Page style -> None).

Now I miss your "block margin".
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote